QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR) tool is a feature in QuickBooks that helps you recover your data in case your company file becomes corrupted or damaged. Here are the steps to use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool:
- First, create a new folder on your desktop with any name.
- Now, go to the location of your QuickBooks company file and find the files with the .qbw.adr extension. These are the backup files created by the ADR tool.
- Copy the .qbw.adr files and paste them into the new folder you created on your desktop.
- Open the QuickBooks software and go to the File menu.
- Select Utilities and then click on the option ‘Recover Data’.
- A new window will appear, click on the ‘Browse’ button to locate the new folder on your desktop where you saved the .qbw.adr files.
- Select the .qbw.adr file that has the most recent date and then click on the ‘Open’ button.
- Click on the ‘OK’ button to start the data recovery process.
- Once the process is complete, you will see a message notifying you that the recovery was successful.
- Finally, verify the data in your company file to ensure that all your transactions and information are present.
It’s important to note that the ADR tool only works if you have the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery feature enabled in your QuickBooks Desktop. Additionally, the ADR tool cannot recover all types of data damage, so it’s always best to have regular backups of your QuickBooks data as a precautionary measure.
What is QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool?
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR) Tool is a built-in data recovery feature available in QuickBooks Desktop. It helps to recover lost or damaged QuickBooks company files. The ADR Tool creates a backup copy of the company file and transaction log file that can be used to restore your data in case the original file gets corrupted.
The QuickBooks ADR Tool automatically creates a backup of the company file and transaction log file every 12 hours. The backup files are stored in two separate folders, namely ADR Data and ADR Old, located in the same directory as the QuickBooks company file.
The ADR Tool is designed to recover the maximum possible data from the damaged or corrupted company file. It identifies the damaged areas of the company file and then restores the undamaged data to a new, working company file. The recovered data is then combined with the transaction log file to create an up-to-date and error-free company file.
However, it’s important to note that the ADR Tool may not be able to recover all data or all types of data damage. So, it’s recommended to have regular backups of your QuickBooks data as a precautionary measure.
The Advantages and Disadvantages 0f QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (ADR) Tool can be a useful feature in QuickBooks Desktop, but it also has advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons of using the QuickBooks ADR Tool:
- Data recovery: The primary advantage of the QuickBooks ADR Tool is that it helps to recover your data in case your company file becomes corrupted or damaged. It creates a backup of the company file and transaction log file that can be used to restore your data to a new, working company file.
- Automatic backup: The ADR Tool automatically creates a backup copy of the company file and transaction log file every 12 hours, so you don’t have to worry about manually backing up your data.
- Easy to use: The ADR Tool is easy to use and does not require any technical knowledge or expertise.
- Limited data recovery: The ADR Tool may not be able to recover all data or all types of data damage. In some cases, you may need to use third-party data recovery software to recover your data.
- Disk space: The ADR Tool creates two backup folders in the same directory as the QuickBooks company file, which can take up a significant amount of disk space over time.
- Slow recovery process: The ADR Tool can take a long time to recover your data, especially if the company file is large. The recovery process can also slow down your computer’s performance.
the QuickBooks ADR Tool can be a useful feature for recovering lost or damaged data, but it also has some limitations and drawbacks that should be considered. It’s always a good practice to have regular backups of your QuickBooks data to minimize the risk of data loss.
Also Read: QuickBooks Utility Application Permission Error
Also Read: Access QuickBooks Enterprise Remotely
Also Read: How To Reprint checks in QuickBooks
Also Read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error The File Exists?