The payment options are getting a facelift every day. Now you can link your credit card with any UPI app and pay in a jiffy. You don’t need to carry your credit card everywhere and swipe only through terminals. You can add your credit card and use the QR code available in your UPI app or pay to any mobile number.
Your credit card can be used for Tap and Pay and you can restrict access at any time through the UPI app or your banker. You will receive an OTP to your registered mobile number when you use your credit card to tap and pay via UPI.
How To Make UPI Payments via Credit Cards?
- When paying a merchant physically or during an online shopping
- Open your UPI application.
- Scan the QR code of the merchant or his mobile number.
- Choose your preference for mode of payment via UPI.
- Choose your preferred credit card.
- Key in your UPI pin and mobile OTP.
- Your UPI payment is done through credit card.
How To Add Your Credit Cards To The UPI Apps?
You have to add your credit card to the UPI app for making payments. We have enlisted the steps to add credit cards for the popular Unified Payment Interface applications. You can also add credit cards to the proprietary mobile banking applications.
GPay or Google Pay
- Open your GPay app and click on your profile picture.
- Click on “Pay businesses” in the “Set up payment methods”,
- You will get a notification “Add card to Google Pay”, read through the complete notification and click on “Proceed”.
- You can add your credit card by placing it within the camera frame of the app.
- You can also add the credit card details manually by adding the credit card number, CVV, cardholder’s name, billing address, and expiry date and clicking “save”.
- Read through the terms and conditions carefully and click “Activate”.
- Enter the OTP from your registered mobile number to complete the authorisation.
- Now your credit card is added to GPay.
- Note that you can add only Master and Visa credit cards to GPay.
- You can use credit cards for Bharat QR, NFC (Tap and Pay), and In-app transactions.
- PhonePe allows all cards like Visa, Master, Amex, Maestro, Diners, and Rupay.
- Go to the PhonePe app and click on the profile icon.
- Click on “Add New Card” from “Settings”.
- Enter your credit card details like card number, CVV, name, and expiry date.
- Your card will be verified through the Penny Drop Method by deducting Rs 1 from your credit card account.
- You can use the card for products and services provided by PhonePe merchants after successful verification.
- Log in to your Paytm App.
- Click on your profile in the top left corner of the main screen.
- Find “PAYMENT SETTINGS” in the sidebar.
- Click on “SAVED CARDS”.
- Click on “ADD NEW CARD ”. Visa, Master, Rupay, Amex, and Diner credit cards can be added to Paytm.
- You will get a notification for a debit of Rs 1 from your card to verify your card details. You will get the refund of your debit in the next 48 hours to your bank account. Click on “PROCEED”.
- Enter the credit card details like card number, expiry, and CVV number in the subsequent screen. Click on the tick mark the “SAVE THIS CARD FOR FUTURE PAYMENTS”.
- Your credit card is now ready to be used for UPI payments.
Credit Cards That Can Be Used For UPI Payments
All Master, VISA, and RuPay Cards of
- Axis Bank
- ICICI Bank
- HDFC Bank
- State Bank of India
- Federal Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- HSBC Bank
- RBL Bank
- Bank Of India
- IDBI Bank
- Canara Bank
- Union Bank of India and much more.
Benefits Of Using Your Credit Card For Making UPI Payments
Easy To Use
Adding your credit card to the UPI app can save you time as you don’t need to enter the details manually every time you make a payment except CVV. The tap-and-pay feature of UPI is enhanced with the usage of credit cards.
There is no need to carry your credit card all the time and do seamless shopping with your credit card-linked UPI app. Also, there are no charges for credit card payments via UPI.
Credit cards are a bouquet of offers, rewards, and cashbacks. Every spending you do can earn you multiple benefits according to the reward programs of your credit card. When you add your credit cards for UPI payments, you enjoy the double benefit of getting rewards from your credit card and UPI app. Hence you never miss out on any of the latest offers.
Do not worry about the safety of your precious data as the UPI applications are strongly encrypted. The transaction is complete only when you enter the OTP received in your mobile number. Hence your credit card payments through UPI are amply secured.
You can also transfer money to bank accounts from credit cards through UPI. There will be minimum transaction charges and you can transfer just by entering the recipient’s mobile number. He/she will receive the amount to the bank account linked to the mobile number.
According to the National Payments Corporation of India, linking credit cards to UPI enables increased usage of credit cards for the users and an increase in consumption patterns which largely benefits the merchants.
The UPI payments are undoubtedly accelerated by linking them to credit cards. But ensure you keep a track of your spending through credit cards to avoid unusual surprises in your credit card bills. The transactions are protected by phone access control, UPI application access control, and OTP for execution. With multiple levels of protection, you can use your credit card safely and have a trouble-free spending experience.